Since 1998, State Treasurer Michael Fitzgerald has been helping Iowans save for higher education and earn tax breaks at the same time. College Savings Iowa was created in 1998 as Iowa's first 529 Plan. It is sold directly to Iowans and people across the country. In 2006, Iowa introduced the Iowa Advisor 529 Plan. This plan is sold through financial planners. While each plan differs in the investment choices and the method of distribution, both plans share the same goal - get people saving for higher education.
College Savings Month
College Savings Iowa is celebrating College Savings Month this September by giving away an Apple iPad and a $529 College Savings Iowa contribution! Visit the website for the official rules and to enter for your chance to win before September 30.
Learn More About Saving for Education
- Request a speaker for your event by completing the Speaker Request form
- See how Iowans are saving throughout the state by visiting our Interactive Map
- Check out the College Savings Iowa Fact Sheet to see total assets, total accounts, amount that's been withdrawn to pay for higher education and more
- Learn about using Iowa's 529 plans in regards to K-12 tuition in the K-12 Fact Sheet for Iowans
- Keep up-to-date on the recent legislation changes in regards to apprenticeship expenses and loan repayments by reading our SECURE Act Fact Sheet
- Read through the Iowa 529 COVID-19 Pandemic Response Fact Sheet for information regarding the contribution deadline extension for tax year 2019 and higher education institution refund recontributions